As you know, the market has already been flooded with different food options for dogs. These protein-rich dog foods are specifically designed to provide the required nutrition and a balanced meal to your beloved dog.
But the question that strikes in our head is that- Are they safe? Are they made from 100% organic and safe ingredients?
This is where the importance of home-made dog food comes in!
Making dog food at home gives you an assurance of regulating pet food quality, increasing variation of diet, unpreserved foods for your dog, and sometimes, better nutrition.
Isn’t it a good idea to ensure the same health benefits as claimed by several pet food providers, to your beloved dog from homemade dog food?
If your answer is affirmative and finding a recipe that is nutrient-rich and super healthy for your dog, you have reached the correct destination.
But before we aggressively rush to the main course, let’s know exactly what your dog needs to maintain optimal health:
1. A Balanced Diet
Just like humans, dogs also need a balanced diet, which is the most crucial factor to avoid several deficiencies. Lack of vitamins or minerals like calcium can lead to several health problems such as problems in muscle control, convulsions, seizures, muscle degeneration, and reproductive problems. Therefore, balancing the diet is very important while preparing dog food.
Protein is the basic and essential component of dog foods, which allows their body to function properly. Meat is a rich source of protein that can help your dog to stay healthy and happy. You can include pork, chicken, beef, and lamb in your dog’s diet but, be sure that the meat is fresh and fit for consumption. Protein in meat foods will help in muscle development, tissue repair, maintenance of healthy hair, and skin of your dog, and support the immune system, just to name some benefits.
Including vegetables in your dog’s diet can help to provide various vitamins, minerals, and most importantly, fiber. You can include carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, sweet potato, etc.
4. Watch Carbohydrates
Avoid feeding foods rich in carbohydrates to your dog as recommended by several veterinarians. Carbs are not bad for dogs but, a reasonable amount can provide an efficient source of energy. Excessive carbohydrates are often the main reason for many diseases in dogs such as kidney diseases and allergies, inflammatory bowels, and obesity.
Now that you are aware of the fact that what the basic requirement of your dog is, let’s prepare a delicious high-protein dog food that will make your dog wag his/her tail out of happiness.
Steps to Prepare Nutritional-Rich Pet Food
Whether you are a parent of a young and rambunctious dog or a senior dog with special needs, this recipe will not only ensure high nutrition to him/her but will also ensure a better way to provide him/her what is exactly needed. The serving size of this recipe is about 12lbs and the ingredients are the following:
- 1 ½ cup of dried black beans.
- 6 boiled eggs.
- ½ lb finely chopped green beans.
- ½ cup of brown rice. (Optional)
- 2 whole chickens.
- Chopped vegetables. (Carrots and broccoli)
- You need to start with the butchering of whole chickens. Remove the chicken breasts and put in your fridge.
- Put the rest of the carcass at the bottom of the vessel, followed by wings and legs on the top.
- Close the vessel with the lid and cook it at 350°F in a microwave oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Take the vessel out and remove meat from the chicken legs.
- Put the rest of the chicken (all bones, organs, skin) into a blender and blend it for at least one minute, until its texture becomes smooth. After that, put in your fridge.
- Strain the liquid and preserve about 6 cups in the refrigerator for later use.
- Add brown rice, black beans, green beans, the reserved chicken breast, and chicken breast skin, and reserved 6 cups of strained liquid into another vessel.
- Cook for about 50-60 minutes.
- Now add the reserved chicken leg meat, the blended chicken, and sliced boiled eggs to the vessel.
- Also, add chopped vegetables.
- Cool it before serving to your dog. You can also add supplements in this recipe at the time of serving.
This high-protein dog food recipe can be stored in the fridge for about 4 days. But, if you want to keep this food for up to 3 months, you can store it in the freezer. Remember to keep in mind the dietary restrictions for your dog.
Enjoy the results and keep your dog healthy and fit!!
By Priyanka Joshi